The 2023 Gig Harbor Paddlers Cup will occur April 29 & 30, 2023 at historic Skansie Brothers Park in downtown Gig Harbor.
This two-day event features competitive racing for expert, novice, and youth paddlers. Vendors will be located on the shore.
*NEW ON DAY 2* Exhibition SUP Technical Course featuring 1000 meters with 8 buoy turns and up to 8 paddlers on the course at a time! (scroll down to learn more)
Inner Harbor Races
We will start the day off with a fun 2.5K youth distance race for ages 13 and under. Competitive and recreational paddlers of all ages can then compete in the 5K/10K distance race and then experience the fun of facing off in head-to-head 100m sprint knock-off races. The Inner Harbor Races are open to youth and adult canoe, kayak, outrigger canoe, para-canoe, and SUP paddlers of any experience level.
Dragon Boat Races
Dragon Boat Teams registered for the 2023 event:
Fast, furious, and fun! Companies, community organizations, clubs, schools, or any group can register a dragon boat team (20 paddlers). No experience is necessary – this is a great team-building activity and a huge crowd favorite. Dragon boat training and all equipment will be provided – just bring your team!
Additional Dragon Boat Race Information:
- Every team will need a designated Team Captain. Communication leading up to the event will be through the Team Captain.
- Race distance is 200m and takes place inside the Harbor.
- Every team races three times.
- Professional lessons, steer person, drummer, boats, paddles and life preservers will be provided on race day.
- Each team must have 20 paddlers to race, 10 men and 10 women.
- NO Gig Harbor Canoe and Kayak Racing Team or Gig Harbor Dragon Boat Team athletes will be participating in any boats this year – this year, all the paddlers will be from the participating organization!
Dragon Boat Training Clinics
Training clinics to get you ready to race will take place Sunday morning. It’s important to have the entire team attend the training clinic so that everyone is ready for a safe, fun day of racing. Clinics will be approximately 1.5 hours, and include land and water training.
NEW THIS YEAR!
Exhibition SUP Technical Course
1000 meters with 8 buoy turns and up to 8 paddlers on the course at a time. Each division will race the course up to 3 times with points for the overall winners.
Based on ICF rules and guidelines for SUP Technical Course races, this new course is going to be fun and exciting for participants and spectators!
Divisions: Junior, Open, Masters.
SUP Board Divisions: 12’6”, 14’ and Unlimited to be determined by registration.
This brings the excitement of board to board racing as paddlers jockey for position from one buoy to the next with a sprint to the finish line!