The 7th Annual Gig Harbor Paddlers Cup will take place on April 21st & 22nd, 2018 at historic Skansie Brothers Park in downtown Gig Harbor. The weekend will feature three signature events: the Cross Narrows Challenge, Inner Harbor Races, and Dragon Boat Races.
This two-day event features competitive racing for expert, novice, and youth paddlers. Vendors will be located on the shore.
Saturday, April 21, 2018:
Cross Narrows Challenge
Saturday starts with an open water race across the Tacoma Narrows. The 6-mile course takes you from the harbor to Point Defiance and back. The Cross Narrows Challenge is open to everyone 14 years of age and older paddling a human-powered craft (no sprint hulls). All paddlers MUST wear a US Coast Guard-approved life jacket in order to participate; life jackets will be provided.
Inner Harbor Races
After the Cross Narrows Challenge, competitive and recreational paddlers can compete in the 5K/10K distance race inside the harbor and then experience the fun of facing off in head-to-head 150m sprint knock-off races. The Inner Harbor Races are open to youth and adult canoe, kayak, outrigger canoe, para-canoe, and SUP paddlers of any experience level.
Sunday, April 22, 2018:
Dragon Boat Races
Dragon Boat Team Spots are Sold Out for 2018
Our 2018 Dragon Boat Teams Are:
Fast, furious, and fun! Companies, community organizations, clubs, schools, or any group can register a dragon boat team (20 paddlers). No experience is necessary – this is a great team-building activity and a huge crowd favorite. Dragon boat training and all equipment will be provided – just bring your team!
Additional Dragon Boat Race Information:
- Every team will need a designated Team Captain. Communication leading up to the event will be through the Team Captain.
- Race distance is 200m and takes place inside the Harbor.
- Every team races three times.
- Professional lessons, steer person, drummer, boats, paddles and life preservers will be provided on race day.
- Each team must have 20 paddlers to race. Gig Harbor Canoe and Kayak Racing Team and Gig Harbor Dragon Boat Team athletes will be available to fill empty spots on a first request / first serve basis.
Dragon Boat Training Clinics
Training clinics to get you ready to race will take place Sunday morning. It’s important to have the entire team attend the training clinic so that everyone is ready for a safe, fun day of racing. Clinics will be approximately 1.5 hours, and include land and water training.